The time has come again for us to hold our Technician licensing class for those interested in taking the steps to become an Amateur Radio operator. This class is open to all that are interested.
If you are interested, please visit our signup page here. This gives your instructors the information needed to get you started in this great hobby. The information you need to know can be found below:
- Where: Hurst Fire Station #2, 837 W. Pipeline Road, Hurst Texas 76053. We will be upstairs, in a secured area, so you will need to use the doorbell and someone will come to escort you up.
- When: October 3rd, 5th, 10th, and 12th, 6:30pm – 9:30pm.
- Cost: The cost of the class is FREE. There is an expense for the book ($20-$25), plus a $14 VEC exam session fee that does apply.
- Materials: You will need the following book from W5YI, Amazon, or any other retailer. The price ranges from $20-$25 most places: http://www.w5yi.org/catalog_details.php?pid=76
We hope to see you there. This is a fun and interactive class that covers all of the theory. It is designed to help you with visualizing the why’s and how’s of ham radio. This class is a supplement to the book, requires that you still study the book. If you do you part in studying, we will do ours in making sure you are ready to pass the Technician level test.
73’s <-(We cover what that means too)
The Hurst Amateur Radio Club will be offering a free FCC licensing class during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of February 2017. If you are looking to get started with amateur radio, this is a great way to do it.
This instructor-led class will take place on Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30pm to 9:30pm during both weeks . An optional licensing test session will be offered during the last class and will cost $15 payable to the VEC.
The recommended study manual is the Gordon West 2014-2018 Technician Class Book available from a number of online and local booksellers or directly from W5YI (purchase online, but available for pickup locally). Please purchase ASAP for use with the Please purchase ASAP for use with the pre-class study worksheet (follow link to print). We ask that you come to the first day of class with the worksheet completed so we know what material to emphasize.
Please register for this class here
Seats are limited to 20, so get in while you can.
The new year has come and the board has now officially scheduled our Technician and General classes for the year. All that are interested in receiving their first license are welcome to sign up for our Technician Class. Any that currently have a Technician Class license, but are interested in upgrading can sign up for our General Class course.
Technician Class License Course (Level 1):
- February 16th, 18th, 23rd, & 25th – 6:30pm – 9:30pm (20 seats)
- November 1st, 3rd, 8th, & 10th – 6:30pm – 9:30pm (20 seats)
General Class License Upgrade Course (Level 2):
- May 17th, 19th, 24th, & 26th (20 seats)
- September 15th & 29th, 8:00am – 5:00pm (limited seating)
Our February, May, and November classes will all be at the Hurst Fire Station #2 in the upstairs training room. The September class is sponsored by Baylor Regional Medical Center, and will be at BRMC in Grapevine, TX (location). We have conference rooms A and B reserved. Current BRMC employees holding a Technician class license will be given priority for seating, and any other unfilled seats will be opened to the public.
The classes include an experienced, Extra Class (Level 3) licensed instructor(s), teaching the material, answering questions, and helping you understand what it is that your are reading.
Your instructors will be:
- Mike Haefner, N5YM, 40+ years
- Chris Cotter, KD5HIY, 17 years
- David Holiman, KD5YDU, 13 years
- Craig Leikis, N5LNX, 10 years
Each session will finish with a testing period for those that are ready. The classes with four dates consist of three intensive class days, and a test session on the final day. The September session will consist of 1.5 days of instruction, and a test session on the 29th after lunch.
Registration can be found here for our classes:
We hope to see you there. We have a the dates on Meetup also if you prefer that way.