The Hurst Amateur Radio Club offers monthly licensing tests on the fourth Thursday and fourth Saturday of each month. Please check our calendar for dates and times.
Which class is right for you? There are three levels of Amateur Radio licenses.
- Hamstudy.org – We currently do not offer Amateur Radio License classes, we highly recommend online study to prepare for your Amateur Radio License Exam. Https://hamstudy.org offers comprehensive test preparation for all three license levels.
- YouTube Videos – Our club in conjunction with Ham Radio 2.0 prepared a three part video presentation for the Technician Class License. Click HERE to view the first video.
- Technician Class (Entry Level) – This is the class you will want to take if you are new to Amateur Radio. This class covers the intro level information that will allow you to test and earn your first license.
- General Class (Mid-Level) – Take this class only if you currently hold a Technician Class license. This is a class designed to help you upgrade your license class from Technician to General.
- Extra Class (Expert Level) – While we do not offer Extra level classes, this is the highest level of Amateur Radio license class. The questions are very difficult and highly technical. We do offer testing sessions as needed for the Extra Class license exam.
For the exact dates, visit the Hurst Amateur Radio Club calendar. If you are interested in signing up for one of our classes, go here for the Technician Class Registration or here for the General Class Registration.
Our Technician classes use the Gordon West, WB6NOA, Technician Class 2022-2026, FCC Element 2 Radio License Preparation book. These are available from the W5YI, Amazon, B&N, etc.
Our General classes use the Gordon West, WB6NOA, General Class 2023-2027, FCC Element 3 Radio License Preparation book. These are available from the W5YI, Amazon, B&N, etc.
The Hurst Amateur Radio club offers amateur radio volunteer examiner testing sessions twice each month. On the fourth Thursday of the month we offer online testing via Zoom. On the fourth Saturday of each month we provide in person testing at Hurst Fire Station #2. To register for a test session go to https://hamstudy.org/sessions/W5PFH and follow the registration instructions. For more information, contact the VE testing teams directly:
- W5YI coordinator is Paul Harrington, W5PFH or Jack Hendrickson, K5JHH
- To register for an exam click HERE
You can reach our testing coordinator team by emailing us at .
The VE testing sessions take place at the Hurst EOC at Fire Station #2 (second floor) located at 837 West Pipeline Rd., Hurst, TX.
Note: The testing location is in a secured area and visitors need to be escorted. Contact W5HRC on the 147.100Mhz (PL 110.9hz) repeater for access or call 817-788-7379 from a cell phone. Do not use the lobby phone as it goes directly to 911.